The Orange County Superior Court is closed to public access until April 24, 2020. However, there are minimal exceptions for time-sensitive issues and safety-related matters.
While the courts remain closed, the following are several processes implemented by the court:
- Plea agreements – The court will accept plea bargains regarding misdemeanor cases (except DUIs) and in custody misdemeanor and felony probation violations. Requests are due by 12 PM the day prior to the court hearing.
- Settlement conferences – When it comes to pretrial issues currently on the calendar until April 24, attorneys may request settlement conferences. When the matter is ready for a hearing, a judge will reach out in a settlement conference call.
- Stipulated continuances – Attorneys can still email the court Request for Continuance (L-1050) forms by sending them to a new inbox ([email protected]), which started on April 7.
- Emergency bail schedule – A California emergency bail schedule was established on April 6, establishing bail for all misdemeanor and felony charges at $0, unless the felony offense was violent and sexual in nature. This applies to every accused individual who was arrested and in pretrial custody and every accused individual held in pretrial custody.
- Pretrial Own Recognizance (OR) Release Motions – As of April 8, lawyers can submit Pretrial OR Release Motions by filling out a COVID-19 Court Request form and emailing it to [email protected] and [email protected]. The court must receive these requests by 12 PM prior to the court hearing.
When it comes to traffic cases, the court has granted extensions for individuals facing hearings and compliance dates beginning March 17, 2020, until May 31, 2020, to dates in June and July. Arraignments, court trials, and night court hearings apply.
At The Law Office of Jacqueline Goodman, we remain open and available to both current and prospective clients dealing with criminal matters during the COVID-19 pandemic. We can communicate through phone or e-mail any day, seven days a week.
If you have been recently arrested in Orange County or subject to an ongoing criminal matter, contact us today at (714) 879-5770 and schedule a free consultation to discuss your case.