The DUI Process
What to Expect When Charged with a DUI
Having a clear understanding of the stages in a DUI case is beneficial after being arrested. Eliminating uncertainties not only builds your own confidence, but it also helps you see the importance of using the legal services of an experienced DUI defense attorney.
If you live in Fullerton, you can count on The Law Offices of Jacqueline Goodman for DUI defense representation and legal counsel to clear up unknowns about the DUI process. Attorney Jacqueline Goodman has more than 20 years of legal experience focused entirely on criminal defense and DUI defense cases throughout the region. Let her experience and knowledge become your own by working with her on your case.
Typical DUI Process in California
Many steps are involved in the average DUI process, beginning with an arrest and culminating in either a dismissal, acquittal, reduction of the charges, or a conviction.
The stages involved in most cases are:
- A police officer arrests you for driving under the influence (DUI) after finding probable cause to do so.
- You are booked at a local police station, where pertinent information is recorded, and a report is filed of the crime.
- Bail is set with the understanding that you promise to appear at future court proceedings.
- You appear at your arraignment to plead guilty, not guilty, or no contest to your charges.
- A judge determines if a trial is warranted during a preliminary hearing for felony charges.
- The defense and prosecution introduce pretrial motions.
- The trial takes place if you plead not guilty and no plea bargain is reached.
- If you are found guilty by judge or jury or are convicted by plea bargain, punishments are determined during the sentencing phase.
Don’t forget: One of the first things to happen after a DUI arrest is your driver's license will be confiscated by the arresting officer. They will give you a temporary permit. Within 10 days of your arrest, you must contact the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to schedule a hearing to request a stay on your license suspension.
Trust Your Driving Privileges with Attorney Goodman
The Law Offices of Jacqueline Goodman is prepared to contest any part of your DUI charge to obtain the most favorable outcome. Whether your case is just beginning, or it is already developing, Attorney Goodman can step in, take over, and give you reliable legal protection. Her track record of success and dedication handling DUI cases throughout Fullerton should give you confidence in her abilities when you choose her to represent you.
You have rights that need protecting. Schedule your free consultation today.