As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to wreak havoc throughout the United States, many states are requiring residents to wear face coverings and masks to prevent the spread of the disease and protect themselves. In California, Governor Gavin Newsom issued a statewide mask mandate in June to ensure everyone wears a face covering when outside their home and in public.
So, what happens if you don’t wear a mask? The answer depends on which city or county you live in. While some towns only punish violators with a verbal warning, others issue fines.
The following are the Southern California cities and counties where failure to wear a mask in public will result in a fine:
- West Hollywood – First violation is punishable by a $300 fine.
- Santa Monica – First violation leads to a $100 fine, a $200 fine for a second violation, and a $500 fine for a third offense. However, a first violation for a business carries a $500 fine, a $750 for a second offense, and a $1,000 fine for a third offense.
- Beverly Hills – First violation carries a $100 fine, a $200 fine for a second offense, and a $500 fine for a third or subsequent violation.
- Glendale – First violation results in a warning, while a second offense carries a fine of at least $100.
- Calabasas – First violation carries a $100 fine.
- Compton – First violation is punishable by a written warning, a $500 fine for a second offense, a $750 for a third offense, and $1,000 for a fourth violation.
- Hermosa Beach – First violation carries a $100 fine, a $200 fine for a second offense, and a $500 for each subsequent offense within the past year.
- Manhattan Beach – First violation results in a $100 fine, a $200 fine for a second violation, and a $350 for subsequent offenses.
- Irvine – Violating the mask mandate can result in a $500 fine per day.
If you or a loved one has been recently arrested in Los Angeles or Orange County, contact The Law Office of Jacqueline Goodman today at (714) 733-1737 for experienced and responsive legal services. Get a Certified Criminal Law Specialist on your side!